Saturday, June 07, 2008

Gardening

In the past I thought that a large, land based garden was essential. It was essentially a small farm in which the goal was to produce as many fruit and vegetables as you needed for the summer and fall. The prime requirement for this kind of gardening was buying a house with a substantial lot.

My attitude toward this sort of enterprise has changed drastically as I've got older. While my passion for growing things has remained, I no longer find the need (or ability) to compete with local markets. I now find that growing large varieties of herbs, flowers and vegetables on a small scale is equally satisfying (not to mention far less work!).

Containers on our balcony now more than adequately fill my gardening needs that large (3m x 6m) plots did in the past. As, well as filling my needs, this type of gardening does not need a huge 25 year mortgage!

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 1:01 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green fingers?
My garden is about the same.
absolutely enough.

 
At 4:32 p.m. , Blogger ArtLife said...

You are right, Ingrid. Two days ago we had tornado warnings here. With a balcony garden you can actually carry the entire garden out of harms way; you cannot do that with a plot of your backyard!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home