Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Citizenship

After waiting since 1959, I finally take my oath of ctizenship in 2006. Why the long wait? Well, since the age of 9 have always thought of myself as a Swede living in Canada. I wasn't willing to take an oath to say this wasn't so. But, over the years (many!) it gradually began to dawn on me that I had become a "Canadian". Regardless of where I was born, Canada was the country whose language I spoke, whose values I held, whose history and current affairs I knew, whose fate I cared more about than any other country in the world. It had become time to affirm these facts. So, when I finally took my oath, it was not simply a gesture to obtain the right to vote; it was a confirmation of facts I had been denying. It was time to abandon the idea that living in Canada was simply some kind of extended visit. I wasn't ever going to go "home" ; I am living in my "home". Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 11:28 a.m. , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!

 
At 1:12 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mats

 
At 8:31 a.m. , Blogger blogspammer said...

Great News!

 
At 8:43 a.m. , Blogger kate said...

Congratulations, Mats! You can officially cheer for the hockey team now, espouse the joys of Canadian bacon, and wear black-and-red wool lumberjack shirts (my image of Canadians). Sweden's loss, Canada's gain.

 
At 11:32 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you sent this lovely paragraph to Citizenship Canada yet? I bet they would _love_ to see it!

- B

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home