Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Full Circle

In 1959 I arrived in Canada. My father had gone first, and my mother and I arrived some months later. We were to live in Toronto only a few months before moving on to Vancouver. We lived for a short while in an flat above a store on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Manor Road. It was a really unsetteling time for me as I spoke no English and had left all my friends behind. My mother took me to the school at the corner of Eglinton and Mount Pleasant where the teacher gave me a book, asked me to sit at the back and said something like "Just try to pick up the language". Easier said than done!
After 45 years and many other towns and cities, I now live within a few blocks of that flat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home