Thursday, February 03, 2005

History

Often I find myself chuckling at the way totalitarian regimes try to re-write "history" to suit the current cause. But every now and then, I find that my own (Canadian) education has left some huge holes in its explanation of world history. In reading a book about Sichuan cookery, I ran into a description of the exploits of Qin Shi Huang. This dude makes Alexander, Ceasar, and Charlemage look like timid guys. About 2000 years ago he made this huge empire we now know as China. He did this in about 10 years! He had the world's most elaborate grave made for himself ( http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/legacy/qin/slide1.html It makes the efforts of the Egyptian kings look puny. SO, why is this guy not well known?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home